The height of Art Deco design,
the Syracuse landmark Niagara Mohawk Power Corp. building
was completed in 1932 in the middle of the Depression.
Melvin L. King of Syracuse was the architect,
with consulting architects Bley & Lyman of Buffalo.
Today it is the regional headquarters of National Grid.
After a huge renovation in the 1980s, the lights were all brought back to life,
so that now the tower lights give us infinite possibilities for color combinations
using helium-filled tubes, and the colors can be set to rotate on timers.
It is still as wondrous a building as it was when it was built.