Small rural New Harmony was home to two completely different intentional utopian com- munities in quick succession.
First, from 1814 to 1824, seccessionist German Lutherans called Harmonists followed Johann Georg Rapp from an earlier settlement in Pennsylvania and numbered over one thousand people. They returned to Pennsylvania and set up another community, New Economy.
Robert Owen purchased the site in 1825 to provide a place and means to support a society based on values of free education and the breaking down of material classes. A year later this experiment was abandoned.
From then on, the town of New Harmony continued to be a center for intellectual and scientific pursuits. Today there is a fine mix of historic and modern, creativity, ecumenical spiritual practice, communal studies and the pace and beauty of a quiet country town.