Sunday, August 9, 2009

St. Louis: tiles

This week features a series of four designs, two each on either street end of the front of the [ -shaped Henry Shaw School on Columbia Avenue. The tiles illustrate four areas of education: history (today's), science, the arts and mathematics.
Built in 1907, this may be a William Ittner school although I believe the architect is uncertain.
If anyone has more information on these tile designs, or on the practice of illustrating the areas of education with symbols, I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are beautiful!

    I don't really have any knowledge of the tiles. But I ran across this link.

    http://www.shs.springfield.k12.il.us/features/History/pottery/index.html

    Perhaps the curator of the museum in the article could provide you with some information.

    I thought it was fascinating that he could tell the people looking for information about the tiles on their school who the artist was, and the original original molds to those tiles were at the museum.

    I enjoyed your pictures. I hope the information helps.

    ReplyDelete